Thursday, April 16, 2015

The class started off with a definition of Marxism: A person is a person and humanity puts  artificial labels ( such as race and ethnicity) to label themselves.

Some questions were posed to start a conversation about Religion. The questions were:
- To you what is the role of religion in your life?
 For me personally Religion provides comfort, gives me strength to get through the tough times but most importantly Religion is my moral compass.

-Do you need Religion in your life? Why?
As stated in the previous question for me Religion is needed in my life. I may not be the typical Christian who goes to Church every Sunday but I read my scripture, and say my prayers. I need Religion in my life because it makes be happy, it relieves anxiety and helps guide me when making difficult decisions.

- What does having a religious ( faith based) system in your life do for you?
For me having a faith based system in my life provides me with a moral compass.

- Does Religion hinder or control rational thought?
Religion can hinder rational thought if the person in question allows it to. It is all up to the individual person. As expected someone is going to feel more comfortable and safe around someone or a group of people with the same beliefs as they do. What is all comes down to is if the person will have their own separate ideals. thoughts from those taught or practice in their religion.

-Are you more likely to support/trust someone ( or someplace) that has people with the same beliefs as you do?
 If this question is posed to a random person then the answer is the same as above. However if the "you" in the question is meant for me specifically then, no and I don't know. I would't necessarily  support someone just because they have the same beliefs as I do.Anyone can twist their beliefs to do bad things. This is an extreme example but I would't do murder someone just because a group or individual who has the same beliefs as I do told me to. As far a trust that's touchy because someone can have the same beliefs as I do then bend them to their will therefore justifying doing a horrible thing because according to their thought process the bases of what they did was their Religion.

 During the class discussion someone mentioned  that they thought atheists are immoral.
I take issue with that, that is a rather close minded idea. Based on that thought people are moral if they have Religion and  immoral if they don't there is no in-between.  I have atheist friends, highly Religious friends and those who are like me and read their scripture and say their prayers. For me personally I don't see any difference in their morals.



No comments:

Post a Comment